Uhuru hints at reopening the economy after two month closure

206
President Uhuru Kenyatta addresses the nation from State House, Nairobi on the 8-Point Economic Stimulus Programme undertaken by the Government during the seventh Presidential address on the Coronavirus pandemic

President Uhuru Kenyatta has hinted at a possibility of relaxing current COVID-19 containment measures which include a nationwide dusk-to-dawn curfew and restrictions of movement into and out of Nairobi, Mombasa, Kilifi, Kwale and Mandera.

The dusk to dawn was issued on March 27 and has been extended twice by a further 21 days in measures to prevent the spread of the virus.

The curfew was complemented with the cessation of movement order in five counties which was eventually extended to Nairobi’s Eastleigh and Old Town in Mombasa.

Speaking when he delivered his seventh national address on the progress made in containing the virus which has claimed 50 lives so far, President Kenyatta noted that every Kenyan would have to take responsibility to prevent the spread of the highly infections virus, Kenya having confirmed over 1,000 cases after testing close to 60,000 samples.

“We will not continue with the lockdown and the curfew, I have told health officials and my ministers that they should start telling Kenyans that we cannot be under a curfew or lockdown forever,” he said.

As of May 23, Kenya’s COVID-19 infections had risen to 1,192 Saturday after President Kenyatta announced 31 new cases.

Kenyatta noted that the obligation will shift to Kenyans who will have to take individual responsibility to minimize the spread of the virus.