Sorrow filled Matungu village, Kakamega County yesterday evening after a 10-month-old baby boy drowned in a basin full of water as his mother was doing the family’s laundry.
25-year-old Audrey Akumu, mother to the 10-month-old, had put her baby behind her as she did her laundry. Suddenly she realized the baby had gone silent and on turning back she found him drowned on a basin full of water.
In shock and disbelief, the young mother wailed drawing her neighbors who came and pulled out the baby from the water, rushing him to nearby Bliss Medical Center where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
DCI have shared their condolences with Audrey and the family.
“We share our deepest sympathies with Audrey, her relatives and friends as they try to come to terms with the loss of their little angel,” they posted.
They also took the platform to educate parents and guardians on first aid that can be performed incase of such an emergency.
“It is never too late to save a child’s life, even if they stop breathing. Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) even if a child is unresponsive and do not stop until medical professionals take over,” they instructed.