On Thursday night, a fire at Moi Girls High School Eldoret damaged three laboratories and a chemicals shop, destroying property of unknown value. The fire which erupted about 11 p.m. sent the school community into a panic but caused no injuries.
The fire which preliminary investigations believe was caused by a gas leak or an electrical problem, destroyed the physics and home science labs as well as a store where some chemicals were stocked.
When firemen from the Uasin Gishu county successfully put out the big fire with massive white smokes billowing from the two-story structure.
The labs damaged were on the upper level of the structure, which was partially destroyed in the fire. The laboratories and offices on the bottom floor were unaffected.
When parents in Eldoret and its surrounds learned of the fire, they hurried to the school to ensure their children’s safety. Authorities believe it was caused by a gas leak or an electrical issue, according to preliminary findings.