The Narok Office of the Director of Public Prosecution (ODPP) has been closed for fourteen days after a number of prosecutors tested Covid-19 positive.
The Narok Senior Counsel Mr. Zachary Omwega, told Kenya News Agency that a number of persons in his office had tested positive forcing the whole office to be closed to avert the spread of the novel disease.
“Some of our staff have tested positive of the disease and so we do not want to risk; we have closed for 14 days to be sure that everybody is safe,” said Mr. Omwega though he did not reveal the number of officers who tested positive.
Following the move, the Narok courts are only handling civil cases, as criminal cases cannot be conducted without the presence of the prosecutors.
However, Omwega confirmed that the offices had been fumigated and the sick staff isolated and are undergoing treatment.
This comes at a time when Narok County has recorded over 200 cases of Covid-19 with four deaths reported so far.
During a coronavirus briefing last week, Narok governor Samuel Tunai confirmed that 420 beds were ready set aside for the novel disease with Ololulunga Referral hospital in Narok South Sub County having three new blocks complete to accommodate the patients.
“The three blocks at Ololulunga referral hospital have 100 beds each. Other 120 beds are set aside at the Narok County Referral Hospital bringing the total of bed capacity to 420,” said the governor.
In a bid to keep the disease a bay, the county governor has sought divine intervention as he has summoned all the religious leaders to fast and pray from Friday to Sunday this week.
The church leaders will host the prayer meeting in Kilgoris on Friday, Suswa grounds on Saturday before holding a mega prayer session on Sunday at the William Ntimama grounds.
Anglican Church of Kenya (ACK) Archbishop Jackson Ole Sapit, who hails from the county among other church leaders, will lead the prayers.