Garissa women rep Anab Subow addressing the press outside the Garissa Referral hospital mortuary. Leaders from Garissa continue to condemn killings of two people at Soko ya Ng’ombe in the outskirts of Garissa town.

Leaders from Garissa county continue to condemn the killing of two people at Soko ya Ng’ombe in the outskirts of Garissa town yesterday by police.

            Garissa deputy governor Abdi Dagane called for immediate arrest of the officers alleged to have shot and killed the duo.

            “We condemn with strongest terms possible the killing of the two innocent Kenyans. We are calling for the immediate prosecution of the two police officers attached to the DCI office here in Garissa,” Dagane said.

            Garissa woman rep Anab Subow said the lives of two men with families were yesterday cut short by police officers who are supposed to protect them together with their properties. Anab cautioned the police against any attempt to cover up the incident.

            “We have already hired a lawyer and private pathologist for the family. We will follow up the matter to its final conclusion and ensure the victims and their families get justice,” Anab said.

            The family lawyer Abdirizak Muhummed said that the preliminary evidence after the postmortem indicates that the two died from chest gunshot wounds.

            The three were addressing the press after witnessing the postmortem on the bodies of Aden Abdi Madobe and Muhiyadin Adow Shibi.

            Governor Ali Korane and area MP Aden Duale yesterday through their Facebook accounts condemned the killings.

            The Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) has dispatched a team from Nairobi to investigate the fatal shooting of two.

            Yesterday evening, IPOA in a statement to the media said they have commenced investigations into the incident.

            “We have dispatched our rapid investigations team to Garissa to establish the circumstance that led to the fatal shootings of two people, allegedly killed by police officers on a mission to enforce an arrest. The team is already on the ground,” read part of the statement signed by the authority’s chair Mrs Anne Makori.

            “Upon conclusion of the investigation, the authority will make appropriate recommendations; including prosecution in the event the officers are indicted for using lethal force inappropriately,” the statement reads.

            The bodies were later released to the families and interred at Muslim cemetery in Garissa town.